Honey Loves Bea

Honey Loves Bea
One of the original Buttonface dolls

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Shelly the Singing Dragon

Wow, it's been an incredibly long time since I've posted, but a lot has happened in the past 16 months. I haven't been idle, so the next few posts will feature some of the things I've worked on lately. Just over a year ago, I joined an amazing group of talented artists who belong to the organization Central Texas Art Doll Sculptors. I couldn't begin to tell you all I've learned from them, but I'll show you what I made at the first retreat I went to. We were all using an armature for a snail doll, but of course, coloring outside the lines, I decided to make a dragon. Several especially cool things happened to make this piece unique. First, I had taken with me a package of small shells that, as it turned out, seemed ideal for the dragon's spines. Then CTADS member Karin Otto Burfict asked me if I'd like to use her dragon scale tool to finish the skin. I didn't even know there was such a thing! And the glitzy dried stems that Marilynn Huston had brought were the perfect touch to represent the dragon's song. Shelley the Singing Dragon has been waiting almost a year to make her debut. She hopes you like her!

7 comments:

Cody Goodin said...

Really cool dragon piece. I love the use of the shells. I am curious about the dragon scale tool? Thanks for sharing.

susanalbert said...

Delightful dragon! Your SCN fans will be glad to know that you're posting again, so we can all see your latest work.

Endment said...

wonderfully awesome!

Susan J Tweit said...

Yowza! You are so amazing. And I love your comment about coloring out of the lines. A dragon is so much cooler than a snail....

Trilla said...

Tell the most appropriately named Shelley that I love all dragons since I was born in the Year of the Dragon and that I love her especially because she is a happy, colorful dragon! This SCNer is a fan of hers and of this blog.

Sherrie York said...

Hooray! Great to see you posting again, and Ms. Shelly is a great opening act.

Trilla said...

Have you ever done an owl or a raven? Would you?